Wednesday, January 18, 2012

To drink or not to drink

Disclaimer--this post is a little more personal than usual--so you're warned.

Recently, my workplace began providing free herbal tea, coffee, and hot chocolate during the workday to their employees.  There was a time in my life when I was a heavy duty coffee drinker and I will admit that smelling those cups of coffee next to my coworkers in meetings all day can be a distraction.  Sometimes a big distraction.  There was a time in my life when I did not attend church.  I smoked, I drank alcohol, I watched rated r movies, and I drank coffee--lots and lots of coffee.  Of all of those habits that I needed to forsake to come back into the fold, coffee was the most difficult for me.  I'm not sure why.  I have not succumbed, however.  I worked too hard to quit it and I'd only have to quit again, so. 

My question today is on herbal tea.  I have been drinking herbal tea.  Usually one or two cups a day.  I have done this in the past and know some other members who do.  When I questioned it within myself I thought, well, I just won't drink flavors that have caffeine.  But then, what sense does that make?  I drink soda with caffeine.  I then went to lds.org to attempt to find counsel on this matter with no luck.  So---is it okay?  Is it not???  Usually my advice to folks is that if you have to question it, you have your answer.  But do I?  Does it even matter?  I mean it says tea, but does that mean black tea, sweet tea, herbal tea, all of the above???  What do you guys think?  Do you drink herbal tea??? 

No comments: