Monday, November 28, 2011

We're supposed to be working

Today my mind has been on a very thought provoking comment that was made in Relief Society yesterday.  We were discussing Sundays and the Sabbath Day and one sister commented that it is rarely discussed the other way around.  Yes, we are supposed to rest and be quiet on the Sabbath Day--absolutely.  But we're supposed to be working the other six days.  Working--the other six days. 

Now, I'm a working mom, and more than once (alot more than once--there's a reason I follow Nony the slob) I've taken a "night off" because, well I do work.  I reflected on justifying  those actions because I am a working mom and sometimes it is just too hard to come home and work more.  I deserve a night off--don't I??  Yes I do--Sunday night. 

Thinking of this concept in this way had never occurred to me before and I am resolved to change at least my way of thinking.  So I went to the scriptures and I'll be honest in saying that--surprisingly-Leviticus is becoming a favorite of late.

" Six days shall work be done: but the seventh day is the sabbath of rest, an holy convocation; ye shall do no work therein: it is the sabbath of the Lord in all your dwellings."  Leviticus 23:3

Disclaimer---ALL moms are working moms--I am privileged to work outside the home for a wage to help my husband support our family.  So when I say I am a working mom, that is what I am referring to.  As a matter of fact, if the state of my home on any given day were an indication--most would say I am not a "working" mom at all.  LOL 

No comments: