Tuesday, July 12, 2011

I've learned a couple new things about cauliflower

I have recently discovered some interesting food allergies that have caused a dramatic increase in the amount and type of vegetables I am eating.  A good friend told me this past weekend that you can boil and serve cauliflower "mashed potato style".  With a family full of men who refuse to eat most vegetables, I decided right then and there to give it a try.

My friend advised me to "boil it until it's dead".  So, since I was planning on serving it with pork chops, I put it in to start boiling before I started prepping the meat, thinking it would take until I was about 100 years old.  Well---it was ready before I even got the meat into the pan.  I thought to myself, "it's probably like potatoes where you can boil them a few extra minutes and it doesn't hurt anything."  It hurts something.  I lifted the lid and it was covered with steamed cauliflower goo.  YUCK!!

I quick and drained and smashed the rest of it.  It turned out quite nicely, even though it took me a while to get the salt and pepper right. 

Just another adventure in the kitchen!  If you remember this post,  I did warn you this sort of thing happens all the time!

Photo courtesy of http://www.recipetips.com/

No comments: