Monday, September 26, 2011

General Relief Society meeting

This past Saturday we had an extremely busy day in our family.  We went to this festival along with everyone else on the planet (not kidding--there were too many people).  It was similar to a county fair, but without the rides.  There was food and flea markets and booths etc, etc, etc.  When the hubs and I decided to attend this festival, we had no idea it would be as crowded as it was.  There were waaayyy too many people.  It didn't take long to figure out that a  couple who doesn't like crowds or, in our case, has some serious spatial issues has no business at this festival. 

We were able to salvage the day however, by taking a nice long scenic route home and enjoying visiting with each other.  I arrived home at 5:10, put my skirt on and ran over  to the church house for the Relief Society broadcast. 

As usual, it was wonderful.  All of the talks were great, but also as usual (sorry to be so unlike most of the other blog posts I have read) my favorite talk was by Sister Thompson.  For some reason she just speaks to my heart. 

She spoke of the past year or so of her life and going through her parents' home and belongings since they have recently passed away and the things she found there.  It gave her courage to read the journals and patriarchal blessings of her parents and grandparents.  One of her grandmothers had even received a promise that Satan would have no power over her.  What a wonderful promise! 

The most thought provoking quote for me was :  "When the time comes for others to look through our belongings, will they find evidence we kept our covenants?"  Will my children and grandchildren know how much I love going to church, how much I love the gospel, how sacred my temple covenants are to me?  How many mind blowing experiences I've had in the temple?  How many wondrous gifts of gospel understanding I have received simply by asking?  If that doesn't motivate me to do better at journaling and bearing my testimony to those around me, I'm not sure anything will.

Keeping Covenants brings joy and peace

No comments: