Monday, September 19, 2011

Feeling Better

If you've read the last few weeks of entries, you've probably picked up that I've been a little blue in the gills.  However, last week, I had a heart to heart of sorts with my branch president and I have really felt much better since then.  I always find it thought provoking how just having someone validate my insecurities or share with me that they feel the same way sometimes is so comforting to me. 

That led me to thinking of the atonement.  Our Savior knows every emotion, every hurt feeling, every betrayal.  He chose to actually feel those things so that He could help us that much more.  Because there is not one of us that he could spare--not one. 

Is that a part of why that concept is so comforting?  I think it helps everyone to have someone to identify with. 

We also had an excellent Sabbath this week, with talks on personal revelation and obedience.  Those two items are so intertwined.  One brother challenged us to ask ourselves why we are obedient.  He listed 3 possible reasons:
Fear
To obtain blessings
Love of Heavenly Father

I wasn't sure I saw my reasoning in any of those reasons.  I obey just because I like the way I feel when I am worthy to have the Holy Ghost present in my life.  I've been without and the difference is noticeable.  And I mean noticeable.  But also I want to please Heavenly Father.  I guess you could sum it up in a comment made at BYU-P by Glenn Pace waaaaayyy back in 1987---we all want to please our Father, but the more we try to please Him and thank Him for our blessings, the more blessings we receive, so we are constantly and eternally under this mountain of blessings our Heavenly Father is thoroughly enjoying heaping upon us.  I cannot think of a more wonderful problem to have!

No comments: