Monday, August 15, 2011

To comment or not to comment

Okay so--yesterday in Sunday School our teacher asked if anyone had made a big difference in our lives just throughout the course of fulfilling their calling.  (I'm a member of the LDS church, which is volunteer run.  When someone fills a position in the church, we refer to that as a calling.)  I raised my hand and told a story about my youth and a young bishop who counseled me in matters of selecting good friends.  I took his advice and my life was forever changed. 

Now--admittedly, I tend to not be as talented as lots of other folks when it comes to telling stories, but I do eventually make my point.  After I shared my experience, there was like an entire moment of silence and then the teacher went on to the next topic.  So in my over analysis mode of thinking, I can't help but wonder if I should not have shared this story, or if I shared it incorrectly.   Meaning, not hitting on the right points.  It's very possible. 

How do you decide?  What's "too" personal?  Isn't one of the purposes of learning as a part of a group putting yourself "out there"?  So that we can all learn from each other?

I am so NOT upset about this.  I honestly find it amusing.  I'm just me and these folks are so used to that, I'm not sure I could shock them even if I tried. Unfortunately however, I think all anyone learned from my sharing in Sunday School yesterday was not to share things like that!  Glad I could help in some respect anyways!  HA HA HA

That's one of the things I love about my branch.  They've seen me through the ups, the downs, the inbetweens.  I've been proud, embarrassed, ashamed, made fun of, bragged on, scolded, laughed at, laughed with, and even barfed on (thanks Macey!).    If I embarrass myself or share something too personal or not say it right, it just turns into a "Wendyism" and no one thinks twice about it.  What a blessing that Heavenly Father has provided this group for me at this time in my life, so that I can grow into the person He needs me to become!  So grateful!  Even if I did over share just a little. 

No comments: