Sunday, May 12, 2019

Social Classes in America

Are there social classes in America?  There shouldn't be. 

What ideas did The Founding Fathers have about this?

As it turns out, the current idea of social equality & class is not mentioned in The Constitution or The Bill of Rights.  So if The Founding Fathers didn't arrange for it, does it matter?

Yes!  and No!

When the colonies began, there wasn't much if any social inequality.  That came later as the country grew.  I believe that social inequality and classes are inevitable in any society.  This is because people are different by design.  They have different personalities, interests, talents, etc.

My first response usually is to keep the "birds of a feather" rule and seek out those that are similar to me.  However, recently I've had a few opportunities to spend time with folks who have lives that are very different than mine--worlds different. 

And guess what?!~  I didn't fit in.  Oh, the experience was lovely, but I did not fit in with this group, nor would they be comfortable in a group of my friends. 

I realized that differences are essential.  Subtle, large, every sort of difference is absolutely essential for us to be able to live our lives, develop our characters, and discover our own souls.

Differences help us to create our happiness.

What are your thoughts?

No comments: